The label started in January 1920, tilll 1927. Originally they were manufactured by the United Phonographs Corporation of Sheboygan, then from March 1922 by the Birdgeport Die nd machine Company of Bridgeport, Conneticut, USA.
The label showing a ‘puruitan's head' existed simultaneiusly with a plainer label, and one with a girl playing a virginal. The blak background as shown was used on the very early records and (like the one shown) on the latter records; in the meantime there was a blue label, and (according to Staunton's list), a green label.
Much of the music came from Paramount originals, and from Plaza.
There was some fine jazz and blues on this label, incuding the Original Memphis Five, and King Oliver's Jazz Band. It would appear that there was also middle-of-the-road instrumentals such as the Hawaiian music shown here.
Record in collection:
L039 sc4 PURITAN
manufactured by B.D.M.Co., Bridgeport, Conn. [USA]